This question came from Japan.
To my best understanding, there just 2 ways to perform medical practice in Japan:

  1. Applying for the Japanese medical licence as any other medical  student after graduation in Japan.
  2. Applying for the special permission for advanced clinical training for foreign medical practitioner (外国医師臨床修練許可書).

The difference is that the first one allows you to independently perform any medical consultation and procedures within Japan as any Japanese physician, and apply to any especialization program.

The second allows you for a maximum of 2 years and under strict supervision of an authorized clinical instructors, to be trained in hospitals designated by the Ministry of Health, labour and Welfare. This condition permits to be instructed in a foreign language (normally in English). However, the foreign medical practitioners are not permitted to issue any prescriptions.


More Information about the Nikkei Scholarship of Nippon Foundation
> To inquire about the scholarship grantees and former grantees? Click here (Facebook group)
> Want to organize a teleconference about the scholarship? Click here (Questions for KNK, Nikkei institutions only).